Happy May! Yesterday was a beautiful, summer-y day here in the Boston area—so much so that a good friend was at the BEACH celebrating her 50th birthday. Two months ago, we were breaking the all-time record for snow in Boston, and now it’s a beach day. THIS is why I love New England…the weather keeps us on our toes!
Speaking of beach days, sometimes it’s great to have a light, but filling, meal that is super-transportable AND delicious. And nutritious, of course, cuz that’s how we roll. Tall order to fill but I’ve got some FOOD SASS® for ya that will deliver all of that and more. And the star of the show is one of my favorite food staples: quinoa. A lot of folks are confused how to pronounce it, so here’s the phonetic spelling: KEEN-wah. Don’t you feel oh-so-savvy, knowing that? 🙂
This recipe will deliver some Smart Carbs, Clean Protein, Healthy Fats, and plenty of phytochemicals straight to your happy cells and will taste REALLY good on the way there! And remember, quinoa is one of the only plant sources that offers a complete protein, so rock on with THAT bonus.
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup kale, remove center rib and slice very, very thin
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup scallions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions or use these even-better instructions, and then chill in the refrigerator.
- Combine all ingredients and season to your liking!
The food you eat builds your body, every day, for better or for worse. Make choices for health!
With love & plant protein,