Depending on how early in your day you are reading this, try this for fun: say the title of this post three times, out loud, in rapid succession. Ha!
It may not be easy to say, but if you are a fan of fantabulous fennel, this recipe is for YOU. As we edge ever closer to Spring, I thought I?d get in a ?last blast? for savory soups to warm your soul. In my experience, folks seem to either really dig fennel, or really dislike it. I hope you?re one of the folks that dig it! Cuz I got some FOOD SASS? for you!
?Wait, Queen of Sass?What the heck is ?fennel??!??
Great question! Fennel is a versatile veggie that is a white or pale green bulb from which closely superimposed stalks happily grow. It has a texture similar to celery and is used a lot in French and Italian food culture, as well as food fun in other European nations. Fennel has a hint of licorice flavor, has great fiber content, and, like most veggies, has all kinds of precious phytochemicals that ROCK IT in our biochemistry. AND it tastes yummy in soups! Ahhhh. Healthy comfort food.
Give this one a whirl and let me know what ya think!
Fantabulous Fennel and Sausage Stew
- 5 Links Italian chicken or pork sausage
- 3 Large fennel bulbs, chopped
- 8 Garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
- 4 cups white beans (cannellini or great northern)
- 3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 8 c. chicken stock
- ? c. red wine
- ? tsp. marjoram
- ? tsp. basil
- ? tsp. thyme
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Avocado oil
- In a Dutch oven (or any “stovetop to oven” pan that you have), saut? sausage in oil until lightly browned and remove from pan.
- Saut? the fennel in the same pan until just browning; while doing this, cut the sausage into ? inch slices.
- When fennel is ready, put the garlic in and saut? for 30 seconds, add the sausage back in along with all other ingredients, except the beans.
- Stir, cover, and put in a 325-degree oven for ? hour. Then, gently stir in beans, turn the oven down to 300, and bake another ? hour or so.
- Serve and watch as the smiles broaden, and the cells do a happy dance!
With love & fennel fun,