Did you know that January is National Thank You Month? Of course, y’all know at this point that I am a huge fan of a gratitude practice, so every day is thankful day. However, I do think it’s cool that there is a month slated to be all about Thank You! One thing I am ALWAYS thankful for is uber-amazing, nutritious food that tastes yummy and builds vibrant health in my body. Let’s bring on some Food Sass®! This month, she’s a sassy Lady in Red.
Ruby Red Salad
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa (you can use white; the red just looks sassier)
- 3-4 beets with stems and beet greens attached
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1/4 c. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove beet stems and greens from beets.
- Wash beets and cut them into 3/4-ish inch cubes.
- Steam beets until slightly tender, about 15-20 minutes. While those are cooking?.
- Wash and coarsely chop the beet greens and stems.
- Sauté garlic in avocado oil on medium heat for 15-20 seconds.
- Add beet stems and greens and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. Tastes great warm or chilled!
This is a nutritious dish and is super yummy! And quinoa? I just love it. The top three reasons I love quinoa are:
- Quinoa is a complete protein, which is rare for a plant source of protein. “Complete protein” means it contains all of the essential amino acids, which are the ones we can?t manufacture ourselves in our body.
- Quinoa is helpful for aiding in weight loss because it has a high concentration of nutrients combined with an ability to expand in our bodies—keeping us satiated (feeling full). Remember though: it’s still a starch, so moderation is a good approach. A one-third cup serving per day is plenty.
- Quinoa is delicious, inexpensive, and easy to make. Okay, that was really three reasons in one line, but there is SO much about quinoa to love. Enjoy!
Special note to our Body Sass® Cleanse Group Program community, who is on Day 4 of their fantabulous Journey: this recipe is Body Sass® Cleanse-friendly. Yep, I planned that 🙂
The food you eat builds your body, every day, for better or for worse.
Make choices for health!
With love & sass,